Press ReleaseSeptember 1, 2021
Spectrum Networks News Audience Grew 3% Year-Over-Year in August, Outperforming All Cable News Networks in Ratings Increases
Spectrum News Expanded its Local News Footprint in August, Launching Digital-Only News Platform in Maine
STAMFORD, Conn. – Spectrum Networks continued to grow its news audience in August, recording a 3% year-over-year increase in household ratings across the 11 metered markets where Spectrum News is available*, while expanding its local news footprint to 10 states by launching a digital-only news platform for Spectrum customers in Maine.
Spectrum News’ 3% year-over-year increase in linear viewership outpaced the other major cable news networks’ ratings, which dropped an average of 31% during the month as compared to August 2020. Including the Spectrum News App in Maine, which launched August 16, more than 2.7 million viewing households turned to Spectrum’s linear and digital platforms daily in August across its 10-state footprint – California, Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Wisconsin and Maine.
“Month after month, and year after year, Spectrum News networks rank as the most-watched news platform by our customers,” said Mike Bair, Executive Vice President, Spectrum Networks. “This tells us that communities want and need news that is meaningful and fosters a deeper understanding of local issues, events and people. No matter how our customers get their news, whether on our linear channels or on our digital platforms, we are there for them 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.”
Breaking news coverage of major political events in the Northeast, headlined by the resignation of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo following the New York State Attorney General‘s report into allegations of sexual harassment by Governor Cuomo, and severe weather in the South and Midwest, drove substantial increases in viewership in August. Highlights include:
- On August 3, Spectrum News NY1 (+140%) and Spectrum News 1 in Buffalo’s (+84%) comprehensive live coverage of the Attorney General’s report recorded the greatest average hourly Nielsen ratings increases as compared to the previous 30 days from 11 AM to 5 PM among all broadcast and cable news networks.
- On August 10, the day Cuomo announced his resignation, NY1 and Spectrum News 1 in Buffalo also recorded nearly triple the viewership as compared to the previous 30-day averages. On the Spectrum News App, the live feeds of the networks’ resignation coverage were streamed three times the amount of time as compared to the previous 30-day average, and related articles and live blogs generated over 50K views.
- When severe weather moved through Wisconsin August 7–11, Spectrum News 1 recorded a 30% increase in daily viewership from the July average, topping all local broadcast affiliates and just trailing The Weather Channel (31%). On the Spectrum News App, the weather-related news drew an average of 1,665 daily visitors, 53% higher than the July daily average (1,089 visitors).
- In Austin, Texas, Spectrum News 1’s coverage of severe storms, news related to the Texas Supreme Court’s blocking of the mask mandates, and Governor Abbott testing positive for Covid increased daily viewership by 15% from August 14-15.
- Notably, on the afternoon of August 15 when Spectrum News 1 in Texas aired intensive inclement weather coverage, the network had higher increases (+66%) than The Weather Channel (+45%) from 2-7:30 PM, and recorded 18 times more viewership than The Weather Channel over that time span.
- When Tropical Storm Fred impacted parts of North Carolina during the week of August 15-21, the Spectrum News App saw a 53% increase in stream starts and articles pertaining to the storm garnered over 4.1k page views. On August 17, the day North Carolinians were most impacted by the storm, overall usage of the app increased 38%.
- Spectrum News in Austin (+30%) and Charlotte (+7%) had the largest month-over-month household ratings increases in August as compared to the local broadcast and cable networks. *
*Nielsen metrics are based on Live+SD, Total Day household impressions in the following DMAs: Austin, Buffalo, Charlotte, Cleveland, Greensboro, Los Angeles, New York, Orlando, Raleigh, San Antonio and Tampa.
About Spectrum Networks
Spectrum Networks is a series of 24/7 news and sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:CHTR), a leading broadband connectivity company and cable operator serving more than 31 million customers in 41 states. Spectrum Networks carry distinct, comprehensive, and exclusive local programming on over 30 networks across Charter’s footprint. More information on Spectrum Networks is available at spectrumlocalnews.com.