Spectrum Networks Launches Award-Winning News Network Spectrum News 1 to All its Video and Internet Customers Across North Carolina Mountain Region
ASHEVILLE, NC – Spectrum Networks today announced its award-winning format for hyperlocal community news, politics, weather and original content has launched to all Spectrum video and internet customers across the North Carolina Mountain regions. With the expansion, Spectrum News 1 is now available to customers across the state, serving Asheville and the North Carolina Mountain regions, in addition to existing coverage of Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville, Charlotte, Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem, Wilmington and the coastal regions.
Spectrum News 1’s expansion, coupled with the launch of the Spectrum News App earlier this year, will strengthen the connection with local communities by giving them more access to read, watch or listen to local news anytime, anywhere. According to a recent report from the University of North Carolina Hussman School of Journalism and Media’s US News Deserts, over the last 15 years, 44 newspapers have ceased operation in the state, and weekly and daily newspaper circulation dropped by 38 percent between 2004 and 2019. Buncombe County, North Carolina currently has only one daily print publication and one local television news station.
“This expansion underscores Spectrum News’ commitment to fill the local news void and serve as an essential part of our customers lives, delivering the news and stories that matter most to them,” said Michael Gautreau, Vice President, Spectrum News. “No other news network in North Carolina offers our quality of objective, targeted community news and local stories, and coverage of politics, public affairs and sports, as well as area-specific weather reports from the mountains to the coast.”
Consistent with Spectrum Networks’ approach to investing in more ‘boots on the ground’ local reporting, Spectrum News 1 has embedded four journalists across the mountain region covering cities including Asheville, Marion, Tryon, and Burnsville to add to its more than four dozen multimedia and digital journalists in communities across North Carolina.
Spectrum News 1’s robust programming lineup will include:
- Ryan O’Donnell and meteorologist Katie Walls kick off the weekdays at 5 AM on “Your Morning on Spectrum News 1”;
- “Your Afternoon on Spectrum News 1” begins at noon with anchor Claudine Chalfant and meteorologists Matthew East and Doug Lindsay;
- Anchors Britni McDonald and Mike Dunston deliver “Your Evening on Spectrum News 1” at 5 PM and 10 PM, with Chief Meteorologist Jeff Crum delivering weather reports;
- Spectrum News’ award-winning political show, “Capital Tonight” with Tim Boyum, airs weeknights at 7 PM and “Chevrolet Sports Night” with Sports Director Mike Solarte and sports anchor JB Ricks airs nightly at 10:30 PM;
- On Saturdays and Sundays, morning news and weather reports begin at 6 AM, and anchor Jonathan Lowe and meteorologist Lindsay will deliver evening news and weather at 5 PM;
- Spectrum News 1’s exclusive weekly public affairs program, “In Focus,” hosted by Loretta Boniti, airs Sundays at 11:30 AM;
- And, as local and state government decisions directly impact community services, schools and infrastructure, political anchors Boyum and Boniti will report from the state capitol in Raleigh, while Washington D.C. Bureau Reporter Kevin Frey will cover the congressional delegation in D.C.
Spectrum News 1 is available exclusively to Spectrum video customers on channel 1. Spectrum’s award-winning local news and original content also is available on the recently launched Spectrum News App, available to all Spectrum residential customers, including internet-only customers. The Spectrum News App combines reporting from existing newsrooms, original content by dedicated digital journalists, and curated content from partner news organizations. The app also showcases the linear feeds of more than 30 Spectrum News networks in nine states across the country, giving subscribers the ability to customize their news based on geographic preferences.
More information on this recent expansion is available here.
About Spectrum Networks
Spectrum Networks is a series of 24/7 news and sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:CHTR), a leading broadband connectivity company and cable operator serving more than 30 million customers in 41 states. Spectrum Networks carry distinct, comprehensive, and exclusive local programming on over 30 networks across Charter’s footprint. More information on Spectrum Networks is available at spectrumlocalnews.com.