Press ReleaseFebruary 1, 2022
Spectrum News Reached More Than 2.9 Million Daily Viewing Households in January
Spectrum News App Surpassed 1.8 Million Total Downloads
STAMFORD, Conn. – Spectrum News’ strong viewership growth carried into 2022, averaging increases in linear viewership of 7% and reaching more than 2.9 million daily viewing households across all digital and linear platforms in January, the highest number of cross-platform households reached by Spectrum News since February 2021. Also in January, the Spectrum News App surpassed 1.8 million total downloads since its July 2020 launch.
Across its 11 Nielsen rated markets*, Spectrum News recorded a 5.7% year-over-year increase in Nielsen viewership, outpacing CNN, Fox News and MSNBC, which dropped an average of 39% as compared to January 2021. Five of the 11 metered markets, San Antonio (46%), Raleigh, N.C. (43%), Austin (40%), Greensboro, N.C. (28%) and Charlotte, N.C. (22%), had higher year-over-year Nielsen viewership growth as compared to the local NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox channels and CNN, Fox News and MSNBC.
Regionally, coverage of severe weather in the Northeast and Southern parts of the country, special network-wide coverage and analysis of President Biden’s remarks on the one-year anniversary of the attack on the U.S. Capitol and his Presidential briefing marking his first full year in office, drove viewership engagement for the month. Highlights included:
- In Buffalo, N.Y., Spectrum News 1’s full day viewership on January 6 during inclement weather coverage recorded an increase of 37%, peaking between 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. ET, with an even higher viewership increase of 70% above the previous 30-day average.
- When inclement weather impacted Syracuse on January 10, Spectrum News 1’s full-day viewership was up 11%, recording higher viewership increases than the local CBS, NBC and FOX channels.
- Winter weather returned to the Northeast on January 17, and Spectrum News 1’s coverage of the snowstorm across Upstate New York recorded an average viewership increase of 33% as compared to the previous 30-day average. Specifically in Buffalo and Rochester where the storm had the greatest impact, viewership was up 45% and 42%, respectively.
- In Florida, coverage of severe weather and tornadoes on January 16 recorded full-day viewership increases for Spectrum Bay News 9 (23%) and Spectrum News 13 (16%), as compared to the previous 30-day average. News 13’s viewership increased 58% from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. ET, recording 77% more viewership during those hours than the local Fox affiliate. In Tampa Bay, between 5 a.m. and 8 a.m. ET, Bay News 9’s viewership was 119%, higher than the previous 30-day average, and was three times (237%) the viewership recorded by the local Fox affiliate.
- Spectrum News’ network-wide live coverage of President Biden’s press briefing on January 19 from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. ET, drew an average viewership increase of 19% as compared to the previous 30-day average, 186% greater than CNN’s viewership increase and 178% more than MSNBC’s during the same time period.
- Spectrum News’ network-wide live coverage and analysis of President Biden’s and Vice President Kamala Harris’ remarks on the one-year anniversary of the attacks on the U.S. Capitol on January 6 from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m. ET, received higher viewership than the broadcast and cable news networks across all markets where Spectrum News is available, averaging 60% higher viewership than ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC and 125% more viewership than CNN, Fox News and MSNBC during the same time period.
- In the Spectrum News App, between January 3 and January 9, all Northeast markets saw increased traffic to the weather section with page views up an average of 104% across the regions as compared to the previous four weeks. Visits to the app’s interactive weather radar section over that same time period also increased by 76% across the Northeast as compared to the previous four-week average.
- When the Nor’easter hit the east coast January 29 and January 30, the Spectrum News App in New York City, Maine and Massachusetts recorded a 219% daily average increase in page views in the weather section, and a 305% increase in daily radar visits as compared to the previous 28-day average.
*Nielsen metrics are based on Live+SD, Total Day household impressions in the following DMAs: Austin, Buffalo, Charlotte, Cleveland, Greensboro, Los Angeles, New York, Orlando, Raleigh, San Antonio and Tampa.
About Spectrum Networks
Spectrum Networks is a series of 24/7 news and sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:CHTR), a leading broadband connectivity company and cable operator serving more than 32 million customers in 41 states. Spectrum Networks carry distinct, comprehensive, and exclusive local programming on over 30 networks across Charter’s footprint. More information on Spectrum Networks is available at spectrumlocalnews.com.