STAMFORD, Conn. – In a month that saw extreme weather events across the country, from severe thunderstorms to heat waves, more than 2.3 million daily viewing households turned to Spectrum News in July to keep them safe and informed.* Spectrum News outperformed ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC, as well as CNN, Fox News and MSNBC in average daily viewership, making it the go-to-source for trusted news among Spectrum customers during the month.
Additionally, the Spectrum News App celebrated its second anniversary in July by surpassing 2.25 million downloads. In the two years since the app launched, users have spent more than 170 million minutes in the platform, including a total of 28.5 million minutes watching the live streams of Spectrum News’ linear channels.
Viewership highlights for the month include: **
- On a month-over-month basis, Spectrum News 1 in Raleigh recorded a higher increase (10%) in Nielsen viewership as compared to ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox News and MSNBC.***
- When severe thunderstorms moved through Asheville, North Carolina on July 5, Spectrum News 1’s viewership from 7 to 8 p.m. EST increased 122% as compared to the previous 30-day average.
- In Orlando, Spectrum News 13’s live coverage of the SpaceX: Falcon 9 Starlink Mission launch on July 7 from 9:05 to 9:25 a.m. EST drove viewership increases of 32%.
- When severe storms impacted the Austin region on July 14, Spectrum News 1’s viewership from 9 to 10 p.m. CST was 23 times higher than The Weather Channel’s, and also recorded increases in viewership of 57%.
- In Florida, during live coverage of the SpaceX:Falcon 9 CRS-25 Mission launch on July 14 from 8:40 to 9 p.m. EST, Spectrum Bay News 9 (Tampa Bay) and Spectrum News 13 (Orlando) ranked as the most-watched news network among Spectrum customers in their respective regions. Spectrum News 13’s live broadcast of the launch recorded viewership increases of 83%, and Spectrum Bay News 9’s live coverage recorded viewership increases of 42%.
- In the midst of New York City’s heat wave on July 21, the Spectrum News App recorded the most traffic (66,178 unique visitors) and time spent watching NY1’s live stream (416 total hours) of any day in July.
- On July 21, Spectrum News’ network-wide live coverage of the U.S. House Select Committee’s January 6th attack hearings from 7:55 to 11 p.m. EST, recorded an average increase in viewership of 13% across all markets, while average viewership among CBS, NBC, ABC, and FOX dropped 17%.
*Spectrum set-top box data is sourced from all markets where Spectrum News has distribution, and are based on a minimum threshold of five consecutive minutes of viewing on one station to count as a viewing HH.
**Ratings averages are as compared to the previous 30-day average, unless noted otherwise.
***Nielsen metrics are based on Live+SD, Total Day household impressions in the following DMAs: Austin, Buffalo, Charlotte, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas, Greensboro, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, New York, Orlando, Raleigh, San Antonio and Tampa.
About Spectrum Networks
Spectrum Networks is a series of 24/7 news and sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:CHTR), a leading broadband connectivity company and cable operator serving more than 32 million customers in 41 states. Spectrum Networks carry distinct, comprehensive, and exclusive local programming on over 30 networks across Charter’s footprint. More information on Spectrum Networks is available at spectrumlocalnews.com.