Skip to main content

News and ViewsFebruary 6, 2020

Our Path to 10G: Emergent Technology Poised to Revolutionize

Share Article:


Consumer demand for fast, reliable broadband speeds is driving innovation at Charter today. As an industry, we are charging forward to reach 10G Internet, or 10-gigabit symmetrical broadband speeds – technology that will revolutionize the way consumers manage their digital lives. 

“We are entering a new age of digital innovation, requiring networks that can deliver high speed, massive capacity and low latency,” said Chairman and CEO Tom Rutledge. “The cable industry’s 10G platform will be the platform of choice for the innovators who will develop the future technologies and applications that will create and inspire the way we work, live, educate and entertain.”

All-Digital and DOCSIS 3.1: Faster Broadband Speeds and a First Step Toward 10G

We finished digitizing virtually all of Charter’s 41-state footprint in 2018 and rolled out DOCSIS 3.1 in 13 months, helping set the foundation for 10G.  It was a significant milestone, and brought immediate benefits for more than 50 million U.S. homes and businesses in our service area: the availability of faster broadband speeds, improved picture and sound, and more HD channels. 

Its most profound impact lies in providing the framework for 10G - the future of broadband.

As the network evolves from an already high-bandwidth, low-latency DOCSIS 3.1 to realizing the additional benefits of Full-Duplex DOCSIS, or DOCSIS 4.0, we will control the upgrade path to 10G, bringing unmatched speeds and service to market, and at relatively low additional capital cost.

Added, Immediate Benefits 

Digitizing the channel lineup and deploying DOCSIS 3.1 made dramatically faster broadband speeds possible. Over the course of 2019 Charter doubled minimum Internet speeds in a number of markets at no additional cost to new and existing Spectrum Internet customers. Currently, 200 Mbps is the slowest speed offered to new Internet customers in approximately 60 percent of Charter’s footprint, with 100 Mbps being the slowest speed offered in the remaining 40 percent.  We continue to offer 400 Mbps, our Ultra product and our Spectrum Internet Gig tier across our entire footprint. 

Spectrum converted the remaining 30 percent of former Time Warner Cable systems and half of legacy Bright House Networks properties to all-digital in 2018. By deploying two-way Spectrum receivers on analog outlets, Spectrum TV customers benefited immediately from a fully interactive experience on every TV. This includes a full complement of HD channels, tens of thousands of On Demand movies and TV shows, and an easy-to-use program guide, as well as easier self-installation and service upgrades.

10G: Where Our Network is Going

10G was introduced by the industry in 2019. It’s a combination of technologies expected to deliver speeds more than 10 times faster than today’s networks offering maximum 940 Mbps speed.

“We’ve been building cable and upgrading cable for over 40 years,” said Rutledge. “As we go down the road as a company and as an industry we're going to help people manage their digital lives, their connected lives, through our network.”

For more information on Spectrum’s full suite of advanced services, please visit