InvestorsDecember 10, 2007
Charter High-Speed(R) Internet Tops National Phone Companies in a Recent Independent Study
Charter tops comScore tests in download speed and speed reliability
ST. LOUIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 10, 2007--Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: CHTR) today announced that comScore, Inc., an independent research firm, ranked Charter's high-speed Internet offerings to be faster, with more reliable speeds, than the combined Internet offerings provided by national phone companies(1) in those areas where Charter provides service.
"Speed and the reliability of that speed are top priorities of Internet users and we are extremely proud to be offering the best possible experience for our customers," said Himesh Bhise, Charter's General Manager of High-Speed Internet. "On average, Charter customers can download movies, music and pictures at nearly twice the speed of customers using DSL service from these telephone companies."
Charter currently offers high-speed Internet tiers of speeds up to 5 Mbps, and 10 Mbps. In select markets, Charter offers speed up to 16 Mbps, and has plans to expand this offering to more markets in the coming year.
"We are focused on improving the Internet experience and providing value to our customers," Mr. Bhise added. "With our speed enhancements and comprehensive security products we make it easy for customers to get online quickly and safely. Improvements in our customer care and network operations reinforce Charter's commitment to providing an outstanding Internet experience.
"When bundled together, Charter's high-speed Internet, video and telephone services represent an even greater value for our customers," Mr. Bhise concluded.
(1) Source: comScore, Inc., Throughput Report, July-September 2007. Faster claim based on a comparison to internet download speeds averaged across all of AT&T/BellSouth, Qwest and Verizon's broadband internet offerings by providers in areas serviced by Charter. Reliable speed claim based on comparison of the difference between average observed broadband download speed versus AT&T/BellSouth, Qwest and Verizon's advertised broadband download speed weighted across all of a provider's broadband internet offerings in areas serviced by Charter.
About Charter Communications
Charter Communications, Inc. is a leading broadband communications company and the third-largest publicly traded cable operator in the United States. Charter provides a full range of advanced broadband services, including Charter Digital(R) video entertainment programming, Charter High-Speed(R) Internet access, and Charter Telephone(R). Charter Business(TM) similarly provides scalable, tailored and cost-effective broadband communications solutions to business organizations, such as business-to-business Internet access, data networking, video and music entertainment services and business telephone. Charter's advertising sales and production services are sold under the Charter Media(R) brand. More information about Charter can be found at www.charter.com.
CAUTIONARY STATEMENT REGARDING FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS:
This release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, regarding, among other things, our plans, strategies and prospects, both business and financial. Although we believe that our plans, intentions and expectations reflected in or suggested by these forward-looking statements are reasonable, we cannot assure you that we will achieve or realize these plans, intentions or expectations. Forward-looking statements are inherently subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions including, without limitation, the factors described under "Risk Factors" from time to time in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC"). Many of the forward-looking statements contained in this release may be identified by the use of forward-looking words such as "believe," "expect," "anticipate," "should," "planned," "will," "may," "intend," "estimated," "aim," "on track," "target," "opportunity" and "potential," among others. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking statements we make in this release are set forth in other reports or documents that we file from time to time with the SEC, and include, but are not limited to:
- the availability, in general, of funds to meet interest payment obligations under our debt and to fund our operations and necessary capital expenditures, either through cash flows from operating activities, further borrowings or other sources and, in particular, our ability to fund debt obligations (by dividend, investment or otherwise) to the applicable obligor of such debt;
- our ability to comply with all covenants in our indentures and credit facilities, any violation of which could trigger a default of our other obligations under cross-default provisions;
- our ability to pay or refinance debt prior to or when it becomes due and/or refinance that debt through new issuances, exchange offers or otherwise, including restructuring our balance sheet and leverage position;
- competition from other distributors, including incumbent telephone companies, direct broadcast satellite operators, wireless broadband providers, and DSL providers;
- difficulties in introducing, growing, and operating our telephone services, such as our ability to adequately meet customer expectations for the reliability of voice services;
- our ability to adequately meet demand for installations and customer service;
- our ability to sustain and grow revenues and cash flows from operating activities by offering video, high-speed Internet, telephone and other services, and to maintain and grow our customer base, particularly in the face of increasingly aggressive competition;
- our ability to obtain programming at reasonable prices or to adequately raise prices to offset the effects of higher programming costs;
- general business conditions, economic uncertainty or slowdown; and
- the effects of governmental regulation, including but not limited to local and state franchise authorities, on our business.
All forward-looking statements attributable to us or any person acting on our behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. We are under no duty or obligation to update any of the forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
CONTACT: Charter Communications, Inc.
Anita Lamont, 314-543-2215
Mary Jo Moehle, 314-543-2397
SOURCE: Charter Communications, Inc.