ST. LOUIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 5, 2007--Charter Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:CHTR) will now make available to digital customers in its high definition footprint The Weather Channel HD, which simulcasts the entire Weather Channel Network in the high definition format.
"More and more of our digital customers are upgrading to high-definition platforms. Charter is pleased to offer The Weather Channel HD as part of that enhanced viewing experience. We are committed to bringing value to our customers and the highest level of information, entertainment, and service available," said Cathy Fogler, Vice President and General Manager of Video for Charter Communications.
"We are pleased that Charter is taking the lead in recognizing the importance to its subscribers of The Weather Channel in HD. The Weather Channel HD features enhancements to the popular "Local on the 8s" as well as unique and engaging original programming shot in native HD format which includes Epic Conditions and Weatherventures. Upon completion of our HD studio in 2008, virtually all of our live studio programming will be in native HD," said Becky Powhatan, executive vice president for distribution and business affairs and general counsel for The Weather Channel.
Charter continues to aggressively expand its high definition content, and including on demand content, Charter plans to provide over 100 high definition programming options by year end. "We're thrilled to be able to offer so many high definition choices to our customers," said Ms. Fogler. "At any given time they will be able to choose from over 100 high definition movies, series, educational shows and much more. Having content on demand means watching what you want when you want it, and now our customers can enjoy that choice and convenience in high definition."
About Charter Communications(R)
Charter Communications, Inc. is a leading broadband communications company and the third-largest publicly traded cable operator in the United States. Charter provides a full range of advanced broadband services, including advanced Charter Digital Cable(R) video entertainment programming, Charter High-Speed(R) Internet access, and Charter Telephone(R). Charter Business(TM) similarly provides scalable, tailored, and cost-effective broadband communications solutions to business organizations, such as business-to-business Internet access, data networking, video and music entertainment services, and business telephone. Charter's advertising sales and production services are sold under the Charter Media(R) brand. More information about Charter can be found at www.charter.com.
About The Weather Channel
The Weather Channel(R), a 24-hour weather network, is seen in over 96 million U.S. households. Its Web site, weather.com, reaches more than 35 million unique users online each month and is the most popular source of online weather, news and information according to Nielsen//NetRatings. The Weather Channel also operates Weatherscan(R), The Weather Channel Radio Network, The Weather Channel Newspaper Services, and is the leading weather information provider for emerging technologies. The Weather Channel is owned by Landmark Communications, Inc., a Norfolk, VA-based, privately held media company.
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward-Looking Statements:
This release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the "Securities Act"), and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended (the "Exchange Act"), regarding, among other things, our plans, strategies and prospects, both business and financial. Although we believe that our plans, intentions and expectations reflected in or suggested by these forward-looking statements are reasonable, we cannot assure you that we will achieve or realize these plans, intentions or expectations. Forward-looking statements are inherently subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions including, without limitation, the factors described under "Risk Factors" from time to time in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC"). Many of the forward-looking statements contained in this quarterly report may be identified by the use of forward-looking words such as "believe," "expect," "anticipate," "should," "planned," "will," "may," "intend," "estimated," "aim," "on track," "target," "opportunity" and "potential," among others. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking statements we make in this release are set forth in reports or documents that we file from time to time with the SEC, and include, but are not limited to:
- the availability, in general, of funds to meet interest payment obligations under our debt and to fund our operations and necessary capital expenditures, either through cash flows from operating activities, further borrowings or other sources and, in particular, our ability to be able to provide under the applicable debt instruments such funds (by dividend, investment or otherwise) to the applicable obligor of such debt;
- our ability to comply with all covenants in our indentures and credit facilities, any violation of which could trigger a default of our other obligations under cross-default provisions;
- our ability to pay or refinance debt prior to or when it becomes due and/or refinance that debt through new issuances, exchange offers or otherwise, including restructuring our balance sheet and leverage position;
- competition from other distributors, including incumbent telephone companies, direct broadcast satellite operators, wireless broadband providers and DSL providers;
- difficulties in introducing and operating our telephone services, such as our ability to adequately meet customer expectations for the reliability of voice services, and our ability to adequately meet demand for installations and customer service;
- our ability to sustain and grow revenues and cash flows from operating activities by offering video, high-speed Internet, telephone and other services, and to maintain and grow our customer base, particularly in the face of increasingly aggressive competition;
- our ability to obtain programming at reasonable prices or to adequately raise prices to offset the effects of higher programming costs;
- general business conditions, economic uncertainty or slowdown; and
- the effects of governmental regulation, including but not limited to local and state franchise authorities, on our business.
All forward-looking statements attributable to us or any person acting on our behalf are expressly qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement. We are under no duty or obligation to update any of the forward-looking statements after the date of this release.
CONTACT: Charter Communications, Inc.
Anita Lamont, 314-543-2215
Mary Jo Moehle, 314-543-2397
SOURCE: Charter Communications, Inc.