Letter from the CEO
I am pleased to introduce Charter’s Environmental, Social and Governance (“ESG”) report for 2020. At Charter Communications, we believe that serving our more than 31 million customers and supporting our 96,000 employees means going beyond delivering best-in-class broadband, TV, voice and mobile services. It means being hyperlocal, from expanding our network to connect more homes and businesses, to the news we bring our viewers each day, the employees we hire and train, and being active members of the communities we serve.
Since our founding, we have worked to provide innovative services that meet the evolving and critical customer connectivity needs of today and the future. In 2020, we formalized our ESG efforts in a comprehensive three-pillar framework to reflect how our business drives sustained value in a virtuous cycle. By investing in a highly skilled workforce, we are able to deliver a superior network that connects communities. We recognize the importance of our services to people’s daily lives, which is why we have established goals to help create long-term value through sustainable connectivity:
1. Drive efficiency by achieving carbon neutrality in our operations by 2035.
2. Continue to build a highly skilled and inclusive workforce by increasing the starting minimum wage of all hourly employees to $20 in 2022 (in March 2021, we raised our starting minimum wage to $18).
3. Provide better, safer connectivity and control for our communities by making our Advanced In-Home WiFi platform available to 100% of Internet serviceable homes passed in 2022, which allows customers to optimize their home networks with detailed visibility and control over connected devices on their home networks.
Charter’s ESG Framework
As a leading broadband connectivity company and cable operator, we create long-term value for our stakeholders through the efficient delivery of our services. We recognize that by investing in a highly skilled workforce, we are able to deliver superior products and services over an advanced network to bring sustainable connectivity to our customers and their communities. A Highly Skilled Workforce, a Superior Network and Connected Communities constitute our ESG framework underpinned by strong governance. These pillars define our ESG priorities and reflect important aspects of our overall business strategy.
Highly Skilled Workforce
At Charter, we recognize that our workforce drives our success and ability to serve our customers and communities. A highly skilled workforce means providing the necessary resources for our employees to advance their abilities, be successful in their lives and careers and be safe on the job. We endeavor to create a highly skilled workforce through three primary levers:
- Training & investing in our employees to be masters of their craft
- Enabling a diverse and inclusive culture
- Focusing on a safe & healthy workplace
We invest heavily in our network to be able to provide broadband products and services for our customers. Delivering a superior network means building and maintaining infrastructure that is resilient, reliable and efficient, and capable of meeting our customer’s connectivity needs, even in a time of crisis. We are focused on:
- Continuously upgrading the resilience and reliability of our network
- Investing in the efficiency of the network to provide affordable services
We advance the communities in which we operate by going beyond providing broadband services. We are actively expanding access to rural and underserved customers, designing universal product experiences, advancing customer protection online, and providing targeted philanthropic programs. Specifically, we are focused on:
- Investing in the communities we serve
- Protecting customer data, privacy and security
- Expanding access to our products and services