Digital Grant Application Timeline
To be eligible for a Spectrum Digital Education grant, applying organizations must serve communities located in a Spectrum market and have 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. Your organization’s program must also:
- Focus on families or seniors.
- Be able to report to Spectrum the following metrics: number of people impacted, population served, and demographics.
- Partner with diverse, low-income or minority-based communities.
- Be an existing program, already working with a diverse population.
- Meet the unique needs of its community and align with the nonprofit’s current mission.
- Have a lasting, meaningful and tangible impact (e.g. development of a new digital site or app, expansion of the capacity of a digital learning center, creation of a mobile computer lab, etc.)
Spectrum partners with organizations that do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, physical disability, military status, or other protected classes.
Digital Grant Selection Criteria
The Spectrum Digital Education Grant Program Selection Committee will use the following criteria in evaluating completed, eligible applications:
- How is the program compelling, captivating or unique?
- To what extent does the program address community needs, with a focus on the digital divide?
- Does the program partner with the community or any government entities?
- Does the program support families or seniors in underrepresented urban and/or rural communities?
- Based on the proposed budget, is it financially feasible that the program will accomplish its goals at the conclusion of the one-year period?
- How does the program have a lasting, meaningful and tangible impact?
- Is there data to illustrate the program’s impact? Can the organization report those metrics to Spectrum?
Frequently Asked Questions
Why does Spectrum support a digital education grant program?
Too many U.S. families still do not have broadband at home. Spectrum is committed to supporting organizations that educate community members on the benefits of broadband.
Can I view a copy of the application form before I fill out the information online?
Yes, a PDF copy of the application form is available here. (Note: This is a sample copy; the application must be completed online.)
How do I determine if my organization is in a Spectrum market?
Visit spectrum.com/digitaled to determine if your organization is in a Spectrum market.
When is the deadline to submit my organization’s application?
The 2020 Spectrum Digital Education application submission period closed at 5 p.m. EST on June 26, 2020.
When will I be notified if my organization is selected to receive funding?
Winners of the 2020 Spectrum Digital Education grant will be notified in August 2020.
How will I know if Spectrum has received my application?
You will receive an acknowledgment email within 24 hours of your submission.
If my organization is not selected for a grant, will I be notified?
Yes, every organization will be notified including those that are not selected.
Should I submit the organization’s IRS determination letter and Form 990 with my application?
Only organizations receiving funding will be required to submit these documents. There is no need to submit them with the application.
Can individuals apply for a Spectrum Digital Education Grant?
No. Awards will only be granted to 501(c)(3) organizations.
How much funding is being awarded?
Since 2017, Spectrum has granted more than $5 million in cash and in kind donations to support digital education. Grants will range from $2,500 – $50,000, in general.
Can I use part of my Spectrum Digital Education Grant to cover operational costs?
Yes, up to 10 percent of the grant awarded can be spent on operational costs.
Can the organization use the grant to pay its Spectrum bill?
No. The funding cannot be used to pay any Spectrum bill.
Is multiyear funding available?
Spectrum is awarding 12-month, non-renewable grants at this time.
If my organization has more than one program, should I submit multiple applications?
Organizations are not limited to one application; however, ensure that each application independently meets the criteria outlined above.
Who sits on the selection committee to determine awards?
Representatives from Spectrum leadership across various departments will select the grant recipients.
If I have questions during the application process, may I contact someone at Spectrum?
Yes. All questions should be directed to DigitalEdGrant@spectrum.com. You will receive a response to your inquiry within 48 hours.